The Osbourne Sherry company (founded in 1772) erected large images of bulls starting in 1956 to advertise their Brandy de Jerez. The images were black (with the brand "Veterano" in red) advertising boards located near major roads throughout Spain. The current larger image was created to comply with a law that prohibited advertising within 150 metres of a road. continued below...
In 1994 the EU passed a law that prohibited all roadside advertising of alcoholic beverages, and the bulls were therefore to be removed. By this time the signs were nationally renowned, so although some campaigners wished them completely removed to fully comply with the intent of the law, public response resulted in the signs being retained, but completely blacked out to remove all reference to the original advertisers. The Court allowed these signs to remain on the grounds that they have become a part of the landscape and have "aesthetic or cultural significance", thus turning the bulls into public domain images. 91 of these installations remain in Spain.
All images copyright ©TheShopServiceCompany2018